Key to the Exercise of Unit 4i
- Hi a gyrchwys attaw.
Attaw ef y cyrchyssant.
- She set out for him. (... headed toward him)
Gwedy dyvod i'r llys ...
- They set out for (headed toward) him.
Parth a'r dydd Riannon a cyvodes.
- After coming to the court ...
Pwyll a oedd yn dyvod o gylchaw Dyved.
- Towards day (i.e. around daybreak), Rhiannon arose.
Amser a doeth iddunt i vyned y gyscu.
- Pwyll was coming from making a circuit of (lit. "circling") Dyfed.
Mi a roddaf i'th law god vechan.
- It came time for them to go to sleep.
- lit. Time came to them to go to sleep.
Mi a roddaf y wledd i'r teulu.
- I will put (give) into your hand a small bag.
Ydd oedd yn dyvod yn y veddwl vyned y hela.
- I will give the feast to the household.
Mi a duunaf a thi.
- It came into his mind to go hunting.
- lit. Going to hunt was coming into his thought.
... dyvod i wiscaw eurwisg amdanaw.
- I agree with you. (or: I will agree with you.)
Ydd oedd yn gwiscaw arveu amdanaw.
- ... coming to dress him in a golden garment
- lit. "to dress a golden garment about him"
Cerdded arav oedd gan y march.
- He was putting armor on.
- lit. "dressing arms about himself"
Ac edrych ef ar liw y cwn.
- The horse had a slow pace.
... dyvod i erchi imi yscar a'm gwreig.
- And he looked at the color of the dogs.
A pharabl a dywod ef wrthi hi.
- ... coming to ask me to separate from my wife.
... a dywedud i pawb y gyvranc.
- And he said something to her.
- lit. "he said a saying"
Ni dywod ef wrthi hi un geir.
- ... and telling everyone the tale.
A cyn ydd oedd yn ymavael a'r march ...
- He didn't say a single word to her.
Ac val ydd oedd y erchwys ef yn ymgael ac ystlys y llannerch ...
- And before he was grasping the horse ...
- perhaps: "before he could grasp..."
I'r yneuad ydd aethont ac y ymolchi.
- And as his pack reached the edge of the clearing...
- lit. "while his pack was reaching"
Ac val ydd oedd yn ymwarandaw a llev yr erchwys ...
- They went to the hall and [went] to wash up.
Mi a roddaf Pryderi a Riannon it.
- And while he was listening to the cry of the pack...
A gwedy myned y baedd a'r cwn i'r gaer...
- I will give Pryderi and Rhiannon to you.
Ar Pryderi y dieleis i'r chware.
- And after the boar and the dogs went to the castle...
- lit. "after the going of the boar and the dogs"
Mi a waredaf yr hud y ar Dyved.
- I took revenge on Pryderi for the trick.
- lit. "I avenged the trick"
- [note the vowel affection in the stem dial- > diel-]
A gwedy ydd ymeveil a'r llaw ...
- I will remove the enchantment from Dyfed.
Caswallawn a wiscawdd llen hut amdanaw.
- And after she grasped the hand ...
- note: this verb forms the 3s preterite with a vowel change -- ymavael
- note also: the gender of the subject is not given in this extract but
is clear in the original context.
Y gan Vanawydan y gelwis Nyssyen y mab attaw.
- Caswallawn dressed himself in the magic cloak.
- Nissien called to boy to him from Manawydan.
Congratulations, you're starting to read some reasonably difficult text taken
from actual Medieval Welsh literature!
To return to unit, close window.
Lost? The start page for these lessons is here.